The FGF (Forschungsgemeinschaft Feuerfest e.V.) is a consortium of refractory producers in Germany. The organisation was founded in 1970 and answers the intended purpose of its articles of association by sourcing research and development projects which are relevant for the refractory and consumers industry.
Since 2002 FGF accomplishes projects itself.
Its target is to promote research and development for public utility. It valorises its expertise in all industry using high temperature process where refractories are necessary: iron and steel production, non-ferrous metallurgy, glass manufacture, cement and lime production, etc….
The FGF directly support the refractory industry and especially the German SMEs. It is active in the field of refractory materials and products and aims at creating and disseminating scientific based information, within the corresponding industrial community.
Its expertise encompasses:
- the handling and conditioning of raw materials;
- the different production stages;the characterization of the materials and products;
- the various applications of refractory products;
- industrial transfer of know-how and methods;
- technological advice to producers and end-users
Representative development tasks are actually:
- Quantitative determination of chemical corrosion in refractory materials for metallurgy, glass manufacturers, waste incineration.
- Quantitative determination of oxidation of carbonaceous refractory materials in different atmospheres.
- Quantitative description of thermomechanical behaviour of refractory materials before, during and after technical application.
- Quantitative measurement of frictional and abrasional wear.
In this regard, the close cooperation with raw material suppliers, the refractory industry as well as refractory consumers is of eminent importance. The FGF is used to work with SMEs and advising them in their business activities.